Urban renewal -- Oregon -- Milwaukie, City planning -- Oregon -- Milwaukie, Milwaukie (Or.) -- Economic conditions
The Milwaukie Economic Profile and Retail Market Analysis prepared by the staff of the Milwaukie Storefront is intended to assist the City of Milwaukie in assessing the potential for expanding the retail base of its downtown and throughout its jurisdiction. It offers:
1) an inventory of commercial and retail activity within a two-mile radius of downtown Milwaukie;
2) an analysis of supportable square feet of retail and commercial space within this radius;
3) a demographic description of area residents;
4) a review of the 1982 survey of downtown patrons;
5) an analysis of the retail growth potential of the Milwaukie area.
The conclusion of this report is that the City has the potential to maintain and strengthen its retail base through the addition of new types of retail trade. This assessment is based on the existence of sufficient untapped consumer purchasing power. The report does not recommend a specific strategy to tap this potential market but does identify certain classes of retail activity which might bear further consideration as the source of new retail development. The City must decide upon an appropriate set of policies to frame its business development goals. In this context the main findings of the report will be useful in identifying potential opportunities for future development.
Thelander, Jerry; Frugoli, Sheila; Conrad, Larry; Edner, Sheldon; and Harry, Tom, "Milwaukie Downtown Revitalization Project: The Milwaukie Storefront (Economic Report)" (1985). Center for Urban Studies Publications and Reports. 68.