PSU received $25,000 in funding from the Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission and the Department of Education, and leveraged these funds with a $15,000 investment to support the Latiné Futures Initiative.
Video/MP4; File size: 1.84 GB; File duration:17:21
Social justice, Racial justice, Racial equity, Hispanic Americans
Participants were invited to record a 30-second response to the convening discussion prompts. To gather a representative sample of the community, an invitation list was curated to include student scholars, education practitioners, governmental representatives, nonprofit executives, business owners, and community leaders. The convening was by invitation only. Those unable to attend were encouraged to send a delegate.
DISCUSSION PROMPTS AND FRAMING
- How do you think climate change is most likely to impact the future of our city - and what are the supports/tools communities most need to prepare for it?
- How do we ensure Latiné student success, educational attainment, and workforce training that adequately prepares our students for a changing workforce?
- Technology is significantly changing the way we work. What do we need to prepare our communities? What is the role of technology and tech justice in the future of a healthy, positive Portland?
- What do you feel is necessary to create faith in community institutions (including voting and democracy)?
- Where do you think community engagement is strongest in Portland? Where is it less strong? Why? What could be most helpful to change that?
© 2022 Portland State University
In Copyright. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
Lara Media Services; Gómez, Cynthia Carmina; Valderrama, Andrea; Bibian-Rodriguez, Esmeralda; Vega Pederson, Jessica; Cabrera Perez, Paola; Avila, Osvaldo; Barrientos, Annakaren; Quiroz, Edith; Cardenas, John; Alonso Leon, Teresa; Servín-González, Antonio; Fonseca, Ernesto; Cerritos Leon, Yulisa; Castillo, Irma Linda; Reyes, Sophia; Rodriguez, Leopoldo; Serna, Rodolfo; Garcia, Jonathan; DeFalco, Tony; Gomez, Mayra; Barraza, Juan; Crespo, Carlos J.; Ramos, Eduardo; and Fernandez, Oscar, "Latiné Futures Convening: Collaborating for a Thriving and Engaged Community" (2022). Global Diversity and Inclusion Publications and Presentations. 25.
Infographic PSU Latiné Futures Initiative June 2022 Community Convening.pdf (2198 kB)
Discussion Headlines.pdf (94 kB)
Portland State University's Latiné Futures Initiative Community Convening Report.pdf (37133 kB)