Portland State University. Department of History
Date of Award
Master of Arts (M.A.) in History
1 online resource (113 p.)
Port of Portland (Or.), Industrial districts -- Oregon -- Portland, Guild's Lake (Portland), Westover Terrace (Portland)
Between 1905 and 1926. developers. real estate speculators, and the Port of -Portland filled in Guild's Lake, a riparian marsh that had been the location for Portland's 1905 Lewis and Clark.: Exposition and Oriental Fair. There were two phases in the filling process. The first phase, which began before the fair ended and lasted until 1914, involved developers using high-pressured hydraulic hoses to sluice soil from nearby hills into the lake. Their primary goal was to terrace the hillside to create a high-end view neighborhood; Guild's Lake was a convenient "dump" for the gravel and dirt. During the second phase. from 1919 to 1926. Portland's elite business leaders teamed up with the city and the Port of Portland to use dredge spoils from a Willamette River channel change and deepening for a more comprehensive filling operation at Guild's Lake. Although city and citizen planning efforts to establish a publicly-owned industrial area at Guild's Lake failed, private landowners at Guild's Lake negotiated with the Port of Portland to fill the lake.
Tucker, Kathleen D., ""We want smokestacks and not swamps" : filling in Portland's Guild's Lake, 1906-1925" (2005). Dissertations and Theses. Paper 3557.