Portland State University. School of Social Work
Frank F. Miles
Term of Graduation
Date of Publication
Master of Social Work (MSW)
Older people -- Case studies, Older people -- Oregon -- Portland
1 online resource (4, v, 68 pages)
This project studied the consequences of disengagement among elderly people and examined the respondent's opinions about society's responsibility to the aged.
The study population was limited to 48 elderly people, equally divided between men and women, married and unmarried; residing in Northwest Tower, a high-rise public housing facility.
The possible consequences of disengagement which were studied included isolation, depression, frustration, despair, factors preventing satisfaction with present circumstances, desired activities in relation to available activities, and energy and desire relative to activity and responsibility. Finally, opinions were sought about society's responsibility to the elderly.
Six general hypotheses guided the development of the study:
- The older person experiences progressive disengagement from society resulting in feelings of isolation, depression, frustration, and despair;
- the aging person is dissatisfied with the degree of this process of social disengagement;
- the aging person gains satisfaction by participating in activities which lead to individual growth and/or benefit to others;
- the aging person lacks capacity and/or desire to participate in many activities or to continue the full-time roles of parent, job holder, and citizen;
- the aging person would like to choose his activities according to his desires and needs;
- and the aging person will more likely participate in activities if he is able to obtain adequate health care and has financial security.
In Copyright. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
Bennion, Linda; Paradis, Marion; and Petrie, Sheila, "An Examination of Disengagement Among Elderly People in a Low Income Public Housing Facility" (1969). Dissertations and Theses. Paper 915.