USDA-Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station (Contracts # 2012-CR-11261985-084 and 2011-CR-1126-1975-087), The Wilderness Society, and the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.
Journal of Environmental Management
Geographic information services -- Citizen participation, Environmental protection -- Planning, Transportation -- Planning -- Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest (Agency : U.S.), Rural-urban relations
• The effectiveness of participatory GIS approaches at engaging different publics was explored.
• Online surveys engaged urbanites; community workshops engaged rural residents.
• Urban and rural residents went to similar places but engaged in different activities.
• Use of multiple data collection methods will broaden public engagement.
• Mapping behavior studies are needed to improve understandings of PPGIS data quality.
McLain, R. J., Banis, D., Todd, A., & Cerveny, L. K. (2017). Multiple methods of public engagement: Disaggregating socio-spatial data for environmental planning in western Washington, USA. Journal of Environmental Management. 204: 61-74., 204, 61-74.